Navy Officer Ranks
- Ensign (ENS, O1)
- Lieutenant, Junior Grade (LTJG, O2)
- Lieutenant (LT, O3)
- Lieutenant Commander (LCDR, O4)
- Commander (CDR, O5)
- Captain (CAPT, O6)
- Rear Admiral Lower Half (RDML,O7)
- Rear Admiral Upper Half (RADM, O8)
- 1 What are the 5 ranks of officers?
- 2 What do you call a Navy officer?
- 3 What are the different types of officers in the Navy?
- 4 What is an 05 in the military?
- 5 What are military ranks in order?
- 6 How do you determine navy uniform rank?
- 7 What is the highest-ranking officer in the military?
- 8 Who is currently the highest-ranking military officer?
- 9 What is the highest ranking Navy officer?
- 10 Are Navy officers considered sailors?
- 11 What rank is higher in the Navy?
- 12 What are the qualifications to be a Navy officer?
- 13 Do you get paid during Navy OCS?
What are the 5 ranks of officers?
- Second Lieutenant. Typically the entry-level rank for most commissioned officers.
- First Lieutenant. A seasoned lieutenant with 18 to 24 months of service.
- Lieutenant Colonel.
- Brigadier General.
- Major General.
Commissioned officers in the navy have pay grades ranging from O-1 to O-10, with O-10 being the highest; those with paygrades between O-1 through O-4 are considered junior officers and O-5 and O-6 as senior officers. Officers in the O-7 to O-10 range are called flag officers or “the admiralty”.
Navy Officer Career Paths
- Naval aviator (pilot)
- Naval aviation (flight officer)
- Naval special warfare officer (SEALS)
- Submarine officer.
- Surface warfare officer.
- Law (JAG)
- Public affairs.
- Health care.
What is an 05 in the military?
Lieutenant Colonel (LTC)(O5)
What are military ranks in order?
The sequence of ranks for Enlisted Soldiers are as follows:
- Private/PVT (E-1)
- Private/PV2 (E-2)
- Private First Class/ PFC (E-3)
- Specialist/SPC (E-4) / Corporal/CPL (E-4)
- Sergeant/SGT (E-5)
- Staff Sergeant/SSG (E-6)
- Sergeant First Class/SFC (E-7)
- Master Sergeant/MSG (E-8)
Naval officers wear distinctively different rank devices depending upon the uniform they’re wearing. The three basic uniforms and rank devices used are: khakis, collar insignia pins; whites, stripes on shoulder boards; and blues, stripes sewn on the lower coat sleeves.
What is the highest-ranking officer in the military?
The highest rank attainable in the Army is the five-star General of the Army. Often called a “five-star general”, the rank of General of the Army has historically been reserved for wartime use and is not currently active in the U.S. Army.
Who is currently the highest-ranking military officer?
Milley. General Mark A. Milley is the 20th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the nation’s highest-ranking military officer, and the principal military advisor to the President, Secretary of Defense, and National Security Council.
The rank of admiral (or full admiral, or four-star admiral) is the highest rank normally achievable in the U.S. Navy. It ranks above vice admiral (three-star admiral) and below fleet admiral (five-star admiral).
All personnel in the uniform of naval service are Sailors first, and in addition they are officers, chiefs, petty officers, aviators, Seabees, surface warriors, and submariners.
The highest rank attainable in the Navy is the five-star Fleet Admiral. In 1944, Congress created the rank Fleet Admiral to be granted to four people.
One must have passed the 10+2 exam with science subjects, match the age limits and physical standards and be an unmarried male candidate to apply for the NDA. The other UPSC indirect recruitment exam for appointment as an officer in the Indian Navy is Combined Defence Service (CDS) exam.
Candidates are paid at the pay grade of E-5 (Sergeant pay grade), “or the highest pay grade achieved if” entering… “directly from current service at a pay grade above E-5.” This means you will be paid at least as an E-5, but current Marines will not get a pay cut.