Correctional officers typically do the following:
- Enforce rules and keep order within jails or prisons.
- Supervise activities of inmates.
- Inspect facilities to ensure that they meet security and safety standards.
- Search inmates for contraband items.
- Report on inmate conduct.
- Escort and transport inmates.
- 1 What are 10 job duties performed by the correctional officers?
- 2 What skills do correctional officers need?
- 3 What should be on a correctional officer resume?
- 4 What gear do correctional officers carry?
- 5 What weapons do correctional officers carry?
- 6 What do correctional officers do at night?
- 7 How can I be a good correctional officer?
- 8 How much does a correctional officer make?
- 9 What do corrections officers wear?
- 10 What kind of shoes do correctional officers wear?
- 11 Why do correctional officers wear gloves?
What are 10 job duties performed by the correctional officers?
Tasks and duties
- Maintaining order and ensuring rules are complied with.
- Supporting rehabilitation and counselling of inmates.
- Supervising the activity of inmates and report on conduct.
- Searching inmates for illegal items or contraband.
- Inspecting and maintaining safety and integrity of prison facilities.
What skills do correctional officers need?
Examples of correctional officer skills
- Resilience. A good correctional officer should learn from their mistakes and use those lessons to get better at what they do.
- Communication skills.
- Stress management skills.
- Analytical skills.
- Problem-solving skills.
What should be on a correctional officer resume?
Those seeking to work as Correction Officers should showcase in their resumes safety policies expertise, good communication skills, the ability to protect oneself while handling hostile individuals, and human relations knowledge.
What gear do correctional officers carry?
It covers badges, bags and cases, batons, body armor, flashlights, gloves, gun belts, handcuff cases, helmets, holsters, knives, personal protective equipment, personal shields, tactical eyewear, and other duty gear accessories.
What weapons do correctional officers carry?
Officers might carry guns while patrolling the perimeter or transporting inmates, and prisons also store weapons in secure armories in case of riots or hostage situations. But on the inside, if guards need to suppress a fight, they typically use tasers, gas, physical force, or simply try to calm the inmates down.
What do correctional officers do at night?
So know your count times, round times and checks — this is a majority of the duties on overnights. Other duties may include medical checks, meal check and preparation for transportation for court or off property events.
How can I be a good correctional officer?
How to become a Correctional Officer
- Enjoy working with people.
- Normal vision.
- Good interpersonal skills, including being fair, sensitive and patient.
- Assertiveness and self-confidence.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Empathy and cultural awareness.
- A mature, responsible attitude towards managing people.
How much does a correctional officer make?
The median annual wage for correctional officers and jailers was $47,410 in May 2020. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $32,830, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $81,940. Local correctional officers make an average of $47,290 yearly. State correctional officers make an average of $46,800 yearly.
What do corrections officers wear?
A. The authorized uniform worn by uniform staff will consist of a coat and/or jacket, sweater, shirt, trousers, tie, belt and name tag, all issued by the DOC. For the first year of service (2080 hours), each correctional officer must supply his/her own black shoes or boots. Incomplete uniforms are not allowed.
What kind of shoes do correctional officers wear?
Best Correctional Officer Boots For 2021
- Bates GX-8 Gore-Tex Waterproof Side Zip Boots.
- Men’s 5.11 Tactical A.T.A.C.
- Men’s Danner Acadia 8” Boot.
- Men’s Under Armour Valsetz R.T.S.
- Men’s Thorogood Zip Jump Boot Gen-Flex Shoe.
- Belleville TR960ZWP KHYBER Boots.
- Men’s S.W.A.T.
- Men’s Bates 8” Tactical Sport Side Zip Boots.
Why do correctional officers wear gloves?
Gloves should be worn when one is likely to have contact with blood, other potentially infectious materials, mucous membranes, non-intact skin, or when touching contaminated surfaces.