To qualify, candidates must meet these minimum requirements:
- be at least 21 years old.
- be a United States citizen.
- be a high school graduate or hold a GED recognized by the state of Maryland.
- be of good moral character and have a police record clear of felony or serious misdemeanor convictions.
- 1 How long does it take to become a police officer in Maryland?
- 2 How do I become a police officer in Maryland?
- 3 How many hours is Maryland police academy?
- 4 How much is the police academy in Maryland?
- 5 Is it easy to become a police officer?
- 6 How long is police boot camp?
- 7 How much does it cost to get into police academy?
- 8 What degree do you need to become a cop?
- 9 Do you have to go to the police academy?
How long does it take to become a police officer in Maryland?
General Requirements. (1) An applicant for certification as a police officer shall successfully complete an entrance-level training program approved by the Commission before the Commission may certify the applicant as a police officer. (2) A Commission-approved entrance-level training program is a minimum of 750 hours.
How do I become a police officer in Maryland?
- U.S. Citizen.
- H.S. Diploma or GED.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Police Officer: Must be 21 prior to graduation from the Police Academy.
- Police Cadet: 18-20 Years of Age.
- Laterals: Must be MPCTC Certified.
How many hours is Maryland police academy?
The Police Academy is a 27-week academic, physical and practical training program, which introduces recruits to a career in law enforcement. It is a non-residential program located in Dundalk, Maryland.
How much is the police academy in Maryland?
Upon successful completion, you will be eligible to be fully certified as a police officer in Maryland, and 18 credit hours may be applied toward an academic degree. Tuition: $4,700 (includes background investigation fee). Uniforms are provided. Financial aid is available to qualified applicants.
Is it easy to become a police officer?
The path to become a police officer is fairly straightforward. However, it will take dedication, stamina, and time to enter this competitive field. Beyond education and training, police departments typically require applicants to be US citizens between the ages of 21 and 37.
How long is police boot camp?
The duration of the training in the Police Academy varies for the different agencies. It usually takes about 13 to 19 weeks on average but can last up to six months. Note that it is possible to complete the Police Academy prior to applying for a police officer.
How much does it cost to get into police academy?
If you attend the police academy without a job offer in place, you will have to pay tuition, though you can sometimes get a partial reimbursement for tuition if you get a law enforcement job after attending the academy. The average tuition for police academy is $6,700.
What degree do you need to become a cop?
Getting a high school diploma or GED is the minimum formal education requirement for most police officers. Many law enforcement organizations may require or prefer applicants with a bachelor’s degree, associate’s degree or a certain number of postsecondary education credits.
Do you have to go to the police academy?
To become a police officer, you’ll be required to take a law enforcement training program at a police academy.