Minimum Requirements to be a Police Officer in Illinois
- An applicant must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- An applicant cannot have been convicted of a felony.
- An applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
- An applicant must possess a valid driver’s license at the time of completing the application.
- 1 How long does it take to become a police officer in Illinois?
- 2 How do you become a certified police officer in Illinois?
- 3 Is it easy to become a cop?
- 4 Do I get paid in police academy?
- 5 Do you have to get tased to be a cop?
- 6 Do you get paid while in the police academy in Illinois?
- 7 How can I be a cop?
- 8 How long is police academy training?
- 9 How many hours do police officers train?
- 10 How much does Police Academy cost?
- 11 Is the police academy hard?
- 12 How much do police officers make an hour?
- 13 How much does a trainee police officer earn?
How long does it take to become a police officer in Illinois?
How long is the SLEA basic training program? SLEA currently offers a 14-week training program (560 hours). This is based on the extended curriculum approved by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board. The requirement for becoming a police officer in the state of Illinois is currently 480 hours.
How do you become a certified police officer in Illinois?
All newly hired police officers must meet certain requirements before they are certified by the state. Each must attend 1 of 6 police training academies and complete a 480-hour basic training program and a 40-hour firearms training course as well as pass both a written test and a physical fitness test.
Is it easy to become a cop?
The path to become a police officer is fairly straightforward. However, it will take dedication, stamina, and time to enter this competitive field. Beyond education and training, police departments typically require applicants to be US citizens between the ages of 21 and 37.
Do I get paid in police academy?
Officers receive a full starting salary while training at a police academy. Once you successfully graduate police academy, you will likely get a bump in salary. Depending on the police department where you work, this salary bump can be as much as $2,000 or $3,000 more than what you earned while training.
Do you have to get tased to be a cop?
No, all police officers do not have to get tased in training. But many departments require being tased if you want to carry and use a Taser on the street.
Do you get paid while in the police academy in Illinois?
Cadets currently earn $3,300/monthly while attending the Illinois State Police Academy. Upon successful completion of the Academy, the Trooper’s salary is increased to $5,390 per month.
How can I be a cop?
Steps to Becoming a Police Officer
- Obtain high school diploma or GED.
- Meet other minimum requirements.
- Obtain a bachelor’s degree (optional)
- Pass the law enforcement entrance exam.
- Graduate from the police academy.
- Work toward a promotion.
- Latest Posts.
How long is police academy training?
The duration of the training in the Police Academy varies for the different agencies. It usually takes about 13 to 19 weeks on average but can last up to six months. Note that it is possible to complete the Police Academy prior to applying for a police officer.
How many hours do police officers train?
I found that police recruits in the U.S. spend an average of 633 hours completing the basic academy, a training program that certifies them as licensed police officers.
How much does Police Academy cost?
From research, the cost of enrolling in Police academy is usually total less than $5,000, and some police departments will reimburse a percentage of that tuition upon employment. After receiving your certification, you can then apply to become a police officer in that state.
Is the police academy hard?
Most police academies are known to be more difficult than basic training, but it can depend on where you study. Basic training teaches the core skills and knowledge to succeed in a military environment. It requires hard work and determination.
How much do police officers make an hour?
How much does a cop make per hour? Police officers make $23.86 per hour on average.
How much does a trainee police officer earn?
You’ll start with a salary package of circa £30,000 (including allowances). Your salary increases annually in line with your length of service and you can expect to earn up to £47,000 (including allowances). are so many opportunities to specialise in countless areas of policing and develop your career.